Aug 17, 2012

Feminine Friday: Feminine Behaviors

Proverbs 31:10 (NIV)

 
A good wife is hard to come by according to Proverbs. Thankfully the writer didn't leave it at that, am I right? Proverbs 31 goes on to share about what it means to be a virtuous and noble wife. I don't know if the Proverbs 31 woman is an ideal or a testimony of a real woman, however, it doesn't matter. In this life, we as Christians are striving to be more like Christ even though we will never fully be able to be Christ-like until we are in His presence. That doesn't stop us from trying. As Christians we are to no longer live a lifestyle of sin (I John 5:18). That doesn't mean that we are made perfect but we - through the power and faithfulness of God - are able to avoid sin when we wholeheartedly seek after His guidance in our lives.


After reading through Proverbs 31 many times, I have pulled together eleven virtues that I strive toward as a woman and wife. I'll be honest, I am not "worth far more than rubies" most days. I forget too often to seek after His strength to be virtuous even during times of stress and trial. But, friends, the good news is that when we reflect upon and treasure in our innermost being the word of God we are less likely to sin (Psalm 119:11)!

The eleven virtues of the "Proverbs 31 woman" that I try to emulate in my own life:


  1. She is trustworthy. Proverbs 31:11
  2. She is helpful and attentive to her husband's needs. Proverbs 31:12
  3. She willingly works hard. Proverbs 31:13
  4. She is resourceful. Proverbs 31:14
  5. She is self-sacrificing. Proverbs 31:15
  6. She spends her money wisely. Proverbs 31:16
  7. She is generous; hospitable. Proverbs 31:20
  8. She anticipates the future and prepares ahead. Proverbs 31:21
  9. She speaks with wisdom and kindness. Proverbs 31:26
  10. She concerns herself with domestic affairs. Proverbs 31:27
  11. She fears the Lord. Proverbs 31:30

As I said above, we can't be perfect. I can't be perfect. I can't be the perfect Proverbs 31 woman. But, with Jesus in my heart, I can try. The fact of the matter is that the Proverbs 31 woman isn't looking at the above list (or Proverbs 31:10-31) and thinking, "Well, I've got #1-5 down and now I've just got to tackle #6-11 and I get my gold star." Its a heart matter. I can truly come closest to being "worth far more than rubies" when I stop thinking about myself and pursue serving my Lord, my husband, my children, and all others around me (in that order). When I take the focus off myself, the Proverbs 31 woman isn't all that daunting, in fact, she seems a little more in reach than ever before.


♥Shari


This post is shared at these link-up parties:
Growing Home

a-wise-woman-builds-her-home

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you!