There will be periods of life such as someone being sick (even yourself), a stressful situation, or an extra busy time where you may not fit in your regular workout or eat as healthy as you normally would. The important thing in these situations is to cut yourself some slack, remember why you are doing your workout/eating nutritiously (for yourself in the first place!), and jump right back into the game as soon as you can. Don't beat yourself up!
It really doesn't help and next time something comes up and bumps you off course you may become so discouraged that you give up altogether (this applies to so many areas of life)! We don't want that to happen!
If you start to get discouraged and wonder why you are even bothering when there are so many life distractions and set backs, I have been there. I get distracted a lot! Here are my personal reasons to work out now. These reasons may motivate you to try to fit staying active into your week even if you are running like a chicken with its head cut off chasing your children!
1) Be a good example - If your kids love jumping, running, and dancing around the house now, they may not be so willing when they are older unless they see you having fun and regularly participating in staying active! Some things you can do to keep it fun for the little ones:
- Take family walks.
- Dance around the living room with the kids as you all watch a silly child's dance video.
- When its cold outside, play inside hide and seek. Or, a simple game of chase - me chasing them - entertains my three!
- Simple stretching
- Play your favorite music; use Pandora on your computer or cell phone, an ipod, or a near by CD player/radio.
- Workout during the kids nap times; sometimes babies/toddlers are just too curious about what mama is doing and it sort of makes that workout more "work" than seems worth it and certainly isn't enjoyable!
- Set rewards for yourself when you reach your workout goals. It could be more internet time during the kids naps, a special coffee drink next time you go grocery shopping, or taking a bath instead of that rushed shower you usually get so you can enjoy those bath salts always just sitting there collecting dust!
- Limit your sugar intake as sugar can suppress your immune system.
- Eat garlic. I have a garlic press and I'm not afraid to use it! Fresh garlic in soup, casseroles, and even macaroni and cheese is amazing!
- Get enough sleep! This is essential! Go to bed a little earlier at night because there isn't much opportunity to sleep in once you have kids! And, if your kids sleep in, please just don't tell me you lucky mom you!
My goals this week are to play actively with my kids for 30 minutes two days (you know, the whole indoor chasing and wrestling that entertains them so much and leaves me a bit out of breath before they are even close to bored!) and do a 20 minute Pilates workout. I may or may not try to add in some Elliptical time so I'll let you know how it goes!