May 30, 2012

10 Gluten Free Products I Keep In My Pantry




A few years ago my husband decided to try a gluten free diet to hopefully relieve some issues that he had been experiencing that were becoming obviously abnormal. Gastrointestinal issues, weight gain, and an overall feeling of being tired and unwell were his most prominent symptoms. Being the cook in our family and responsible for feeding my husband, the challenge of learning to cook gluten free has been mine to tackle.

I learned at a pretty young age how to bake. I also have a keen enjoyment of those familiar recipes passed down from my mother and grandmothers. This was going to be no easy feat! However, I think I started out similarly to many others and stocked up on foods that are naturally gluten free and a few staple items such as a gluten free all-purpose flour, gluten free pasta, and gluten free box mixes for some of our favorite foods. Once we found a few brands that we enjoyed, we began to just grow accustomed to eating gluten free. I spent a great deal of time reading about the gluten free diet and about cooking gluten free recipes. Then I experimented. We enjoyed some and we scraped some. My husband did begin to notice drastic reduction of his symptoms and when ever he would get "glutened" he would experience those symptoms again. So, while he has never been diagnosed by a doctor, he has been feeling much better and experienced a much appreciated reduction of symptoms as well as weight loss due to going on the gluten free diet. Our entire family eats gluten free the majority of the time to streamline meals and for the sake of our children should they also have a gluten sensitivity.

Today I would like to share with you a few of our family's staple items that are gluten free (we aren't really discussing health here as a whole but just gluten free for those who must eat this way) but are "normal" foods.

This brand is gluten free and is a powder. I keep it in my pantry for times when I don't have broth on hand.
While we have used La Choy brand soy and teriyaki sauces because they technically do not contain gluten, they do contain caramel color which can be problematic to those who suffer reactions to gluten. Kikkoman brand is very definitely gluten free.

We really enjoy this pasta because its texture and flavor is so similar to "regular" pasta.

We originally ate the Udi's brand bread and still enjoy their hotdog buns and hamburger buns but we have really come to enjoy Rudi's brand bread for its light texture and it holds up well as a sandwich without much crumbling.

The King Arthur Flour gluten free options are some of my favorites. When I don't make them from scratch, we enjoy their mixes for pizza crust, brownies, and muffins.

I use this french bread and pizza mix to make sandwich rolls or dinner rolls.
We use angel hair pasta instead of spaghetti pasta when we eat spaghetti and this is our favorite brand. Brown rice pasta has the benefit of being whole grain but it tends to be sticky and may take some adjusting to really become a favorite. We are accustomed to it and think the flavor is still great.

This mix can help you get a meal on the table quick (and who doesn't need to whip up a quick meal every now and then?) .

Feeding little kids gluten free can be a challenge because they eat a lot of snacks. Sometimes I buy these bars (or the Envirokids brand of peanut butter cereal) for snacks when we need to go to church or MOPS or a friend's house so we have an easy and tasty gluten free snack ready.
We regularly eat tacos (and nachos on corn tortilla chips) and its one of the easiest and fastest gluten free meals that everyone seems to enjoy.
I am going to be bringing you a series of posts (probably on a once-weekly basis) that have to do with all things gluten free. I hope this information is useful for you. Even when you don't have a family member that eats gluten free, there are people at work, friends, or at church that must eat this way and it can be useful knowledge should you need to take a meal to a potluck or a family with a new baby. As always I welcome comments and tips so feel free to share your favorite go-to gluten free product!

♥Shari

Disclaimer: These foods are what we keep on hand based on my observation of them being gluten free. Since brands can change their ingredients, be an avid ingredient reader to avoid compromising your or your family's health. Thanks!


Linked up at:

Beautiful Thursdays A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-Home




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing with Creative @ Home Wednedsay! I hope you'll come back this Wednesday and link-up again! http://susangodfrey.com/category/home-family/creative-home/

    Blessings!
    Susan Godfrey

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you!