May 4, 2012

Encouragement For Cloudy Days

Adorable princesses don't throw tantrums do they?
Being a mom of three young children can be a challenge. Perhaps some days(years?) are more challenging than others but its easy to get a discouraged and dejected feeling. Much like you would feel if a dark cloud was hovering over your head. That is how I feel most some days. No matter how often I lay down the ground rules to my children, offer options, speak kindly but firmly, and remind of the consequences of negative behavior and disobedience, my children disobey and destroy and throw tantrums. Most days, I'm "lucky" if its one kid at a time that is being naughty. Their repetitive and disruptive behavior tends to chip away at me until I lose my temper and then I feel worse!

Don't those blue eyes and look deceptively innocent? He'd never be
 a picky eater or screach at the top of his lungs in public, right? 
I want to share with you some scripture that I have been meditating on recently that I feel are encouraging and helpful in slowly molding me into the mother God would have me to be, which is certainly a more patient, loving, and godly mother than I am as of yet. It helps to remember that I am still a work of progress in my Creator's hands which makes it easier to extend a certain amount of due grace to my children in the appropriate moments.

Newly 4 year old boys are always helpful and
 never say, "no" to their mama, right?
Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.  But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

~ Matthew 6:31-34 NASB (Focus on today; stop worrying but seek God and His Will first)

Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs it down,
But a good word makes it glad.

~ Proverbs 12:25 NASB (I desire to offer a "good word" to make glad the hearts of my family.)

rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer;

~ Romans 12:12 NKJV ("Patient in tribulation," I take this to refer to all suffering whether perceived trials, actual persecution, or a tough patch in a relationship or financial situation. The Bible instructs us to be patient over and over and it is definitely no exception that as a mom I am to be patient with my circumstances and family. I also find that praying to God helps to calm me and set my heart toward a better attitude - I even use this when I start to feel overwhelmed when I'm at my part time job.)

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

~ 1 Peter 5:7 NIV (He is a personal and loving God and cares for me. I can trust God when I am worried about something! He doesn't always make things easier for me or give me what I think I want or need, but He is comforting nonetheless.)

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

~ Philippians 4:6-7 NASB (This one sums it up pretty well!)

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails...

She opens her mouth in wisdom,
And the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.

~ Proverbs 31:26 NASB (This is a noble goal for a mother.)

Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, long suffering;  bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.

~ Colossians 3:12-13 NKJV (This speaks to me as a Christian "elect of God" on how I should strive to behave. So I must exemplify such behavior to my children so they can learn it too.)

That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

~ Titus 2:4-5 (My goal as a young mother and wife (though I don't consider myself exactly a young Christian as I have been saved by grace for 18 years, there is always sin to overcome and new things to learn - Phil. 3:12) is to love Casey and my kids by serving them, be self-disciplined, dress/behave modestly, be a homemaker, be kind, and be submissive to my husband. All of this is ultimately to show honor to God.)

I hope you have been encouraged by these passages of scripture!


♥Shari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you!