Jul 18, 2012

Burt's Bees Sunscreen ~ Review


I'm a big fan of Burt's Bees. They have quality products that are made in none-other than my home state of North Carolina. Today I want to review their sunscreen.

The Product

Burt's Bees Natural Suncare line of Chemical-Free Sunscreen is a dual-action sunscreen protecting from both UVA/UVB rays with a SPF of 30 (with means it blocks about 97% of UVB rays). The "active ingredient" is Titanium Dioxide which is considered a safe naturally-occurring mineral which blocks the sun's rays. It contains zero parabens, phalathes, or petrochemicals. On the front of the bottle it boasts that it is 100% natural.

The Pros

I like this sunscreen because it is chemical free and natural. It is safe for the whole family and I feel confident and safe when using it on my children's skin. This sunscreen is available locally (at Walmart) which means that I don't have to plan ahead and order a specialty variety online or go out of my way to visit a specialty store. I really like supporting "made in the USA" products as well!

The Cons

The price alone is thought provoking at $14.97 per 3.5oz bottle. However, I have seen several natural sunscreen brands that cost more so be sure to compare this price to similarly natural products and not the cheapest conventional sunscreen available. To make the most of each bottle, we use it only on extended sun-exposure days such as at the pool or zoo. Otherwise, we spend some time in the sun "un-protected" to allow vitamin D production. We also try to spend time in the shade or wear protective clothing. The heat we've been having lately has only allowed for shorter visits outside to play for the kids and we haven't had the need to use sunscreen and there haven't been any sunburns either (except for the other day when I forgot to put sunscreen on myself since we were running late and only put it on the kids, they were protected and I was not!). Another concern, is that the thick, white paste is harder to rub in and leaves a chalky-feel if not rubbed in well. I counteract this by rubbing it in real well and focusing on smaller sections of exposed skin at a time. Like most other sunscreens, it must be re-applied after spending time in the pool because the water diminishes its effectiveness.


I am very happy with this product because I value the chemical-free benefits over the less-than-convenient price and time required to rub it in well on myself and my kids.

Check out my other Burt's Bees lip balm review.


♥Shari

Disclaimer: I am not a healthcare professional, in fact, I am just like you, simply interested in the health of myself and my family. I enjoy sharing what my family does to pursue health but that in no way requires anyone else to feel obligated to do the same. Do your own research or what you feel is best. Happy summer to you and your family!


Linked up at:

Frugally Sustainable
day2day joys

a-wise-woman-builds-her-home

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you!