Sep 5, 2012

Fall Twig Wreath


Final Product!


Pinterest is full of gorgeous visuals for autumn wreath crafting. I had no lack of inspiration when I decided I wanted to create my own unique wreath for the upcoming fall season. What I may have lacked was a bit of confidence that I could do it so I decided that a twig wreath looked like a "beginner" level compared to some of the more completely decorated wreaths. Today I would like to share with you how I made my very own fall twig wreath!

You have to understand, I am very proud of myself for taking on this seemingly-simple project. I've always been surrounded by overly creative and artistic and talented family members that are self-taught at practically every craft under the sun and enviously creative. I, on the other hand, am just one of those people that has to remember all those crafty and creative things I've seen other people come up with and then try to modify them to make them my own. Did I mention I love Pinterest for this very reason? You can follow me on Pinterest and continue the cycle of inspiration!


Here goes...

You will need these supplies:

  • Twig wreath. (Bonus - I found mine at Goodwill!)
  • Wreath hanger for your door.
  • Hot glue gun. (And hot glue sticks.)
  • Decorations... (I used a wooden letter for our last name, brown paint, a foam paint brush, and leaves recycled from a torn up decoration.)
The very first step that I did was to paint my wooden letter. I used a plastic grocery bag to protect my counter. And, painted as much as I could and then let it dry for the one hour specified on the paint bottle. I did a second coat on the front. Assembling the leaves onto the wreath didn't take much effort. I stuck a few in for an idea of what I was going for and then began gluing away. Then I hot-glued the letter securely to the front.
 
The story behind the "recycled leaves" is that a few years ago, my now-3 year old son decided that the "berries" on this fall leaf and berry decoration looked good enough to eat. Once he discovered they didn't taste so swell, he just kept yanking them off and leaving them around my house for me to vacuum up. My decoration got more and more "bald" until all the berries were gone. I was a little short on decorations last year so I kept it around for the leaves since they were still full and decent looking. This year, I chose to use the leaves for my new wreath.

Did you notice the picture at the top? Yes. It did turn out a little crooked. The wreath isn't perfectly round for one thing. And, the twigs right underneath where it is supposed to hang are so smooth that it slides to exactly the angle it is hanging at in this picture. I guess that I could have adjusted where I put the leaves to prevent this "sliding" but I didn't really notice before I began gluing! I like it pretty well though!

♥Shari
 
 
This post is linked-up here:

Beautiful Thursdays

Blogfest

3 comments:

  1. I love your wreath! You did a great job. Your newest follower from Beautiful Thursdays! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy! I'm glad to have you here! Thanks about the wreath. I'm really enjoying seeing it each day on my front door - even though we're still having days with temps in the 90s, LOL!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for linking up at the Ginger Jamboree! I hope to see you there next week!

    It looks so cute, Shari! I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you!