Nov 16, 2011

Homemade Burgers

Good morning! I wanted to share with you about my dinner last night. Remember from yesterday I was planning to prepare gluten free buns, cheese burgers, oven fries, and green beans. It took a lot of preparation to make this meal so by the time it was complete I plopped down to eat without a second thought to taking a picture. Sorry!


I was a bit bummed over the mess this meal made and how I dirtied every mixing bowl I owned! Why do I just not stick to casseroles while my kids are so young? I'm considering that route from now on! Stress free living is the goal, right? Anywho... my family did enjoy this meal. The burger bun recipe was actually a dinner roll recipe and didn't really work for burger buns. They were really too dense. I am not giving up though and have another recipe lined up to try already. As dinner rolls they worked okay. Not my favorite but the kids ate the rest this morning. They snatched them off the counter when I wasn't looking before I served breakfast but I was just glad that they got eaten so I wasn't too worried. Toddlers are notorious for being "starving" the instant their feet touch the floor in the morning! And, you know, those frozen Trader Joe gluten free waffles just don't toast fast enough...

What was a success about my meal were the burgers. I have never been satisfied with a plain burger with a bit of seasoning sprinkled on before cooking. I have to add and add and add. Now I have to warn you, my favorite kind of cooking is "a pinch of this" and "a dash of that" style. I'm not into using measuring spoons unless baking and its a struggle then (but totally necessary!).

My Homemade Hamburgers:

2lbs hamburger
half an onion; finely chopped
2-3 garlic cloves; I used a garlic press but you can peel and finely chop or grate
salt and pepper; to taste (I go heavy on pepper)
several dashes each: Chipotle Tabasco sauce and Worcestershire sauce
one egg

Other options: chopped herbs or parsley, more garlic (super healthy!), soy sauce, A-1 steak sauce, or you can use garlic and onion powders (but I prefer the fresh options for the health benefits), bread crumbs, bacon crumbles, sauteed onion, cheese, cilantro.

Mix all together and form into patties. Cook. I decided to use my cast iron skillet last night and it worked great.

I used what I had on hand. My favorite thing about this is that they turn out great but they are always different by just swapping a few ingredients!

We're half way through the week already! I'll leave you with these verses. Verse 5 is the "encouraging word" from K-love but I wanted to add the next verse as well.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. ~ Proverbs 3: 5-6
♥ Shari

2 comments:

  1. We love hamburgers at our house! I bet the Chipotle Tabasco sauce add a great kick! Yum!
    Thanks for linking up your garlic recipe!

    Also, if you have any other posts that pertain to health, you can link them up at Healthy 2day Wednesdays every week! (this weeks link up- http://day2dayjoys.blogspot.com/2011/11/family-fitness-time-and-h2w.html)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting Rachel! I enjoyed checking out your blog and especially the family fitness time ideas. My kids are 3, 2, and 1 so I can picture the video of the family workout for us in a few years! ;-) Until then I know my 3 year old loves to dance with me so that is our version of working out, lol. Put on the tunes and have fun! I'm going to have to consider some health topics for future posts!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you!